[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 20:27:18 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  107    22  Total Score = 2,354

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Six meters only. Lots of activity from the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions,
but very little to none from the NW, W, SW or S regions. At least, that was my
experience with a 3-el Yagi up 25' and an IC-7410 with a sick final putting out
only 60w. That said, and despite heavy competition, I still worked 95% of all I
saw on the WSJT-X screen.

That includes two rovers (K8GP/R and K0BAK/R) in two different grids each. No
other rovers were heard. All the grids worked were in FM or FN territory, the
farthest being KV1J operating from Oxford county, Maine--620 miles away. I also
worked stations from FN30 to FN43. What propagation facilitated that? Was there
a patch of sporadic E between here and New England?

Once again, despite a few CW and SSB QSOs at the opening gun, this was an FT8
event. I did work two FT4 stations early in the day Saturday (one none other
than N1JT) but despite numerous checks throughout the contest, I never heard
another FT4—or for that matter, CW or SSB signal.

My FT8 rate was excruciatingly slow (10.2/hour) and dropped to about 6.8 toward
the end Sunday night with very few new ones left to work. Watched a lot of paint
drying ;-)

Still, I enjoyed this contest because we have so many amateurs in this region
who bring it to life. And there were very few this time who had not set WSJT-X
for “NA VHF Contest,” which made it all go more smoothly. So all in all, I
can truthfully say I’m looking forward to the next VHF contest—really!

73 from John/K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia