[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 06:24:14 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  250    41  Total Score = 14,227

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

The fires in So Calif caused all the National Forests to be closed, so that
messed up my plans to go to Keller Peak for DM14.

Started the contest at Signal Hill for DM03.  I arrived way early, and had the
most leisurely setup time ever.  Watched F-18s take off from Long Beach airport
in the smoky haze.  Had a good start there, but nothing out of the area on 6m.
KG6IYN got dozens of ARES people active in SDG.  Thanks Bruce!  Stayed 1.5 hours
and headed to my new DM04 in my old stomping grounds of Hastings Ranch
Pasadena.
That place worked out well.  A little hard to breathe, and there were ashes
falling.  I pray that this neighborhood survives the fire later this week.
I then headed to a new spot I have in Diamond Bar which is a marginal spot for
DM14.  Located by Pantera Elementary School up on a hill, it has a good shot
to DM04. I was shocked when I worked DM12.  Maybe a reflection off the
mountains?  About sundown I drove 1 mile to Diamond Bar Center for DM13.  Met up
with Ryan N7OW/R and his awesome rover truck.  I had invited him over from
Arizona to pick up a bunch of QSOs and mults in Socal saturday.  Was great to
meet Ryan and we had a fast food dinner when the contest died down.
I had a solid 120 QSOs after the first day, and I knew Sunday was my
"Driving for Multipliers" day.  I made a snap decision to go to Jack
in the Box Grapevine
to give out the DM04 multiplier, and receive many mults up north in return. Got
all 4 bands with K6MI (DM06) and Mike K6MYC (DM07), plus others like KW6S CM96
and WA6OSX way up near Sacramento.   I went up the 5 about 10 miles to the
Chevron on Hwy 166 for DM05.  It was on the valley floor, and didn't work any
new mults from there.
I high tailed it home to Signal Peak in Newport beach for the last 1.5 hours of
the contest, and found a lot of stations to work.  Saw rookie rover and friend
Mike KX6A with his fantastic setup. In the last 5 minutes of the contest I
worked Rita KM6LY (N6WIN's Mom!) for DM14 on 220 for my last mult to sweep the 5
common SoCal grids.

I didn't make any major strategy mistakes this time, and executed my plan fairly
well.  DM14 was lacking in QSOs because the hilltop sites weren't available.
Except toward the end, I stayed away from FT8 for local QSOs.  Used it in
Grapevine for the distant shots on 6 and 2m.  The pandemic is still a boon to
VHF contesting, and the activity is way up. FM is where the action is on 2 and
440.  This is a personal best for Sept VHF in QSOs and score.
Only improvements I would make would be to store FM and SSB channels for 2 and
440 into my radio for fast switching.  Also need to figure out how to keep the
COM port numbers from changing every time I boot my laptop.

QSOs by grid:

  DM03  69
  DM04  69
  DM05  7