[3830] WAE SSB VE2IM(VE3DZ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB VE2IM(VE3DZ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:58:17 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: VE2IM
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: VE2CSI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Sept-Iles, QC
Operating Time (hrs): 35.5

   80:  209   200   136
   40:  385   317   120
   20:  989  1034    94
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total: 1583  1551   350  Total Score = 1,095,150

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

(Raw Score)
My GF and I were planning a trip to Montreal and Quebec City in early September,
so I thought - why not go a bit further more North and show her where this crazy
man is traveling for the last 21 years?
It would also be a good opportunity to bring some of the equipment needed for
the upcoming CQ WW DX Phone and to annual antenna check-up and maintenance.
Thanks to Frank VA2FGG for his help in repairing the 40 m Beam prior to my
arrival, so what was left for me is to repair 80 m dipole.
I have never been to Sept-Iles in early fall, and this trip brought some new
impressions to what I thought my already formed view of this place. It looked
like a great artist added just a few colourful touches to the finished painting
and it started to shine and look differently from how looked all this time
before... One should definitely visit Canadian North at least once in a lifetime
to experience its great beauty!
I planned to do a plain ("Classic") Low Power effort with only one
radio, but in the end the desire to have fun prevailed over the wish to earn
easy 950 points towards the WRTC-2022 qualification and I decided to turn the
amp on.
Conditions were interesting to say the least. I can't remember 15 meters THAT
dead. Never heard any single station there over a weekend. 75 meters were great
and it was amazing how many Europeans I could work with a low dipole. I received
some great signal reports on 40 meters, and a couple of my EU friends reported
to me that at times I was at the same strength level as VY2ZM super station!
However, it only happened when conditions on 20 were at full swing, and early
mornings and late evenings the difference was reaching +20 dB in favour of VY2ZM
which sounds more realistic.
If I knew in advance that Jeff is going to do M/S this year, I would probably
much more motivated, but all in all I am satisfied with my score and with how
the station performed. The only low point is that I got constantly beaten in
pile-ups by some certain Low Power stations...
Thanks to all for the contacts, hope to work you in upcoming CQ WW DX Phone in
October.

Rig: FT1000MP,
Amp: Alpha 76A @ 800 watts.

Antennas:
HyGain Explorer 14 Tribander at 55 feet,
HyGain 2 el. 40 m Beam at 65 feet and
80 m Dipole at 50 feet.

N1MM + Logger and RigExpert TI-5 USB Interface.