[3830] 222FallSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 222FallSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:12:59 +0000
                    222 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Club:

Comments:

I was looking forward to the 222 MHz Sprint. It was the inauguration of the new
and improved hilltop ham shack. I spent much of the summer repairing the old
building, replacing rotted frame and wall studs and sealing up the building to
eliminate rodents from entering.
    When 7 PM rolled around, I was sitting in the 222 MHz chair and enjoying the
clean desktop, and nice smelling room air. Gone was the dirt and ubiquitous
small black droppings that, in the past, were everywhere. Gone was the musty
smell too. It was pure heaven. Who cares if the conditions were rather flat. I
was just so happy to finally have a place where the ham gear would stay clean
for more than an afternoon!  I talked to "Good Buddy Ron", WZ1V to
start the Sprint and found activity was pretty good for the first hour. I was
happy to work KV1J in FN44, and Bill, K1DY in FN54. Thanks to those guys for
making those NE grids available. I worked no other stations to my north or
east.To the southwest, I worked many stations in southern New England and a few
in and around FN20. I was happy to snag N3RN in FN11, and KD2LGX in FN13 with a
great signal here in Maine!  Any enhancement was hard to see. There was the
typical rolling QSB and stations would benefit from a QSB peak of about 10 dB.
    Many local grids were not active this time. Besides all of the grids NE of
me, I missed FN41, FN21, FN30, FN33 and FN34. If there was activity there, I did
not hear it! I also missed FN02/03 out west. My only VE station worked was VE3ZV
 in EN92. Thanks to KA2LIM and W9KXI for providing FN12 too!
    FT8 activity ramped up only after the first hour, but by 0200UT, even FT8
activity petered out. Endless calls on SSB or digital went unanswered. I quit
right around 0200 UT and drove the truck down the hill for home.  Thanks to the
sponsors for helping to generate some activity on 222 MHz, and thanks to all who
took the time to get on the air and make it a "fun" evening.