[3830] CaQP K8TE SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP K8TE SOFixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 00:14:08 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2020

Call: K8TE
Operator(s): K8TE
Station: K8TE

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   56      6
   40:   72    182
   20:   90     38
   15:    1      3
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Albuquerque DX Assn

Comments:

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…”  It was the
California QSO Party, 2020 version.  Hoping for lots and lots of contacts, I was
surprised how dupes quickly filled the bandmap!  I was expecting to find a lot
more activity than I did.  On Saturday morning, there were too few stations to
work on 40m and the same on 20m.  NM is in between the two skip zones as noted
by KA6BIM in OR on Sunday as he lamented similarly.

When 20m opened up from NM to CA, the bandmap got a lot livelier!  The same was
true as the afternoon wore on and them 80m opened up.  Still, after a 30-minute
sweep through any band, it was slim pickings.  I thought much of CA was stuck at
home.  I hope it gets better for you guys and the rest of us!

For this event, fewer non-CA ops answered my “CQ CA” calls than similar
calls in previous parties this year.  Three ops answered my last-minute attempt
to work AA6W, my last contact.  I sent his call four times and others still kept
calling.  Then he faded away and the others left.  Patiently, Don returned and
we squeezed out the contact.  Unfortunately, I could have worked the other
callers if they had only listened!  For the CA ops, please learn and use your
four-letter county abbreviations on SSB!

I didn’t operate the entire contest as I got bored with no new stations to
work and no responses to my CQ’s.  It was fun (the best of times) while it
lasted.  Getting SEQUOIA was easy and the many 1x1’s were abundant and, like
Chicken Man, everywhere.  Now, if only you could get the rest of the CA HF ops
to participate…  73, Bill, K8TE, K3/KPA1500, low dipoles