[3830] 432FallSprnt W4NF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] 432FallSprnt W4NF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 02:58:32 +0000
                    432 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM08xx
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My tower is just too far away from my house (700') to allow me to mount any UHF
antennas there.  Even my small 30' pole that holds my 6 and 2 meter antennas is
400' from the house.  Even with 7/8" HL the losses are just too much at
432.  So I decided to head up on to Blue Mountain at 2200' and operate in the
back of my SUV.  I used an IC 9100 at 75W and a 15 element Directive Systems
Rover beam on a 20 mast mounted to my hitch along with a rotor.  Setup took
about 45 minutes and a last minute rewire job based on a report of hum on my
audio and I was ready to go.  The signals I heard were easy to work but the lack
of activity was disturbing.  I gave it a good two hours, calling, listening,
tuning and moving the beam.  Best contact was K1TEO answering my CW CQ at 304
miles.  Thanks for the Qs but that might have taken too much effort.  73, Jack
W4NF