[3830] NyQP W1WBB SOCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NyQP W1WBB SOCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 22:24:22 +0000
                    New York QSO Party - 2020

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SOCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:   53     66
   40:   42     28
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
----------------------------
Total:   95     94      0  Mults = 48  Total Score = 13,488

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Gave this a pretty good effort during the last QSO Party weekend of the State
QSO Party Challenge season.  NYQP is the closest out-of-state 'major' QSO Party
event to me in RI ... most of NYC/Long Island as well as much of ENY are within
150 miles of me, while the far reaches of WNY are at most 440 miles away -- all
short skip / NVIS distances.  Makes for a fun and interesting low-bands
challenge!  Made 119 QSOs on 80m, 70 QSOs on 40m, and sadly NONE(!) on 160m
where the Stew Perry event was going on.  [Note to sponsors - *please* establish
a small 160m window & designated meeting time so NYQP'ers can make actual QP
contacts on Topband!].

It was cool to see 40m propagation shorten up quite a bit just before local noon
as stations in NLI/ENY came up out of the noise to be near S-9 here in RI
suddenly (KR2AA on Staten Island [NYC] about 150 miles away was one great
example, quickly became S-9 plus!).  The log shows this lasted for about two
hours.  Only 1 QSO with all of NY was made on 40m after 4:30pm local as the band
had gone long by then.  Thus, a number of mobile contacts (and available
counties) were missed as I was forced to go to 80m.  No short skip on 20m into
far WNY was ever detected on the Hex Beam during regular checks, though it is
somewhat common to occur.

My 88 ft doublet up near 40 ft was my workhorse antenna in NYQP, while an 80m
Half Diamond vertical (ungrounded far end for NVIS work) and a 40m Half Square
used on 80m via a tuner also got used.  CQ'ing for NY contacts was productive
and resulted in a few more contacts (and new mults!).

Thanks for all the NY activity and especially the mobiles as well as portables
set-up in the rarer counties.  Counties I missed:
BRX,CGO,COL,DEL,GRE,HAM,JEF,KIN,LEW,MTG,PUT,STL,TOM,WYO.
Thanks also to the sponsors who offer nice hardware as prizes and have good info
on historic NYQP county activations on the website.