[3830] CQWW SSB WB8WKQ SOSB10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB WB8WKQ SOSB10 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 23:09:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SOSB10 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  71     10       16
------------------------------
Total:  71     10       16  Total Score = 5,304

Club:

Comments:

Pretty fun to just work a single "daytime" band.  Most contacts were
South America, but did manage a few EUs on Sunday.  Even one into Zone 15.  I
wonder why SA stations struggle so badly with call signs.  Mine is the worst, in
all of contesting, I believe, yet I still hear the SAs struggling with most
calls.  I wonder if that's because English is not very common to them, as it is
in other countries?  For some reason, the "8" in my call was often
mistaken for a "2".  I don't see how they sound alike, especially how
I emphasize "aaayyyeee-ttttaaa".   I thought maybe it was my speech,
but then heard another 8 on backscatter that a PY couldn't understand the
"8" and also thought it was a "2".  I've even yelled
"octo" "octo" "octo".  Aside from that, south is
probably my worst direction, for some reason.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm
this far north (Michigan) or not.  Anyway, I try and compare my own scores
(instead of competing with the big boys) and I did better this year than in
2018.  Now, that could be a function of better propagation this year, I would
assume.  All in all, this was a fun way to participate in a 48 hour contest,
without taking up one's whole weekend.  Thanks to all for the Q's.