[3830] CQWW SSB KC1XX M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, matt@kc1xx.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KC1XX M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 15:14:21 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): KM3T WA1Z W1FV K1QX KC1XX
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  106    12       34
   80:  818    26       83
   40: 1731    31      106
   20: 3119    34      132
   15: 2182    27      118
   10:  631    17       58
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, the year 2020, sure had and has its challenges worldwide.
Fortunately, here in rural New Hampshire, we don’t have a lot of cases and in
Mason, NH and surrounding towns, we have zero cases. The plan was a serious M/2
operation but a few of our operators decided that it was too risky to come and
canceled. We also couldn’t get our usual imports from the Bavarian Contest
Club to come and help do to travel restrictions from Europe.
Since the core team WA1Z, KM3T, W1FV, K1QX and KC1XX are all responsibly
socializing during the pandemic anyways, we decided to get together and just get
on the air to have fun. All towers and antennas were spaced more than 2 meters
apart at all times and practiced social distancing.
Seriously, you just can’t replace a multi operation and its camaraderie with
an RJ-45 connector. Remoting into a radio is just not a real multi and often
times it fails anyways. We love the laughs and wow’s that come with the
operation. Swapping stories during off times and making them up is just as
important as a 250 hour. We all understand that being careful is not a guarantee
but we are all responsible for our own wellbeing. That of course includes having
fun and doing something mentally valuable. It felt wonderful to be with our best
friends doing what we like to do.
Bob, WA1Z prepared some amazing steaks and skewers. The best German beer filled
the fridge and we decided to just do a “none serious” Multi/Multi and just
work what we can. The motto was, if it isn’t fun, we’ll do something else.
Several breaks were taken for naps and food consumption. To avoid bacteria, we
also made sure that every 100 multipliers; we had a shot of Jägermeister,
served correctly at minus 4 degrees Celsius. Disinfecting is important these
days!
Dave, KM3T was the usual 20 meter Hoover machine and he had to break the 3000Qs.
Great JOB!
The great stamina and performance on 40m was mainly done by Bob, WA1Z
John, W1FV made sure that the 80 meter loops get their full workout and did
mostly 80m.
Craig, K1QX came over when he was available to help out on any band that had an
empty chair. We are very thankful for his contribution as a 4 man M/M is very
draining, especially on phone.
As the host, Matt KC1XX did 15m some 10m and helped out when needed.  I also did
some cooking, cleaning and fixing that comes with being the host.
In-band operation was very limited as we aren’t set up for M/M but moving a
few coax cables made it work on some bands.
The bands were surprisingly good. 10 and 15 meters were amazing and it was
almost overwhelming with the small crew. We managed to make a lot of contacts
and we want to thanks everyone for the QSO’s. Often times, the QRM and the
noise were so bad that we needed multiple repeats.
The activity from South America on ten was also fantastic. Lots of new stations
went in the log when I took the opportunity to practice my Spanish. It was
however disappointing how bad the Europeans hear on 160. Numerous stations
filled the band maps with big signals. Very few of them acknowledged any North
American station calling.
Again, thanks for all the contacts. VY73, Matt KC1XX and team