[3830] CQWW SSB KC2TN SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kc2tn@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KC2TN SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 20:35:35 +0000

Band     QSOs     Pts  ZN   Cty  Pt/Q
   3.5       3       7    3    3   2.3
     7     165     457   20   57   2.8
    14     324     934   26   84   2.9
    21     300     867   23   73   2.9
    28     100     290   11   27   2.9
Total     892    2555   83  244   2.9
Score: 835,485

For once, most things ‘Just Worked’ for me!

Flex 6600,
Flex PGXL amp,
HF-Auto,
2x8 antenna switch,
2el 40M,
4el SteppIR

I really didn’t prepare much for this contest, as I’ve been busy with my
“Pandemic Project” - A 4 band microwave LNA/switch box for the Jan VHF
contest. My microwave stack and 4el SteppIR share the same fold over tower that
has been down for two weeks while I installed the LNA switch box. I didn’t get
the tower back up until Friday afternoon. I came into the shack about 2pm,
turned on the equipment, configured N1MM, and was ready to go by 4pm. The only
thing I didn’t get configured were the N1MM Voice Keyers. So, I’m thinking
all the lack of concern to get ready actually helped. LOL

I was hoping my new HF-Auto tuner would help me with my piece of crap fan
dipole. NOT! 80/160 were nonexistent for me again. I need to do something NEW
for the next contest. I’m leaving too many points in the ether! 50 more 80M
Q’s would have gotten me over 1M.

It seems 160M was dead anyway. Perhaps we’re seeing the positive turn of the
solar curve as 10M was open a good portion of the weekend. Every time I thought
I had sucked all the contacts from 10M, I would be seduced into going back as
more Mults would continue to show up and it kept providing contacts.

I don’t want to shake Murphy’s nest on my towers, but my SteppIR and 2el 40M
beam were honking. Got many “Booming Signal” reports!  It was also fun
working JA’s and Caribbean/SA stations using the SteppIR’s 180deg reverse
feature. Saved a lot of wear/tear on my rotor and time.

I spent so much time searching for a RUN frequency that I wound up doing ALL
S&P. Next time I’ll just muscle my way in somewhere.

I don’t have the best Call either. At least 75% of the time it’s busted and
I have to repeat. Mucho lost time! But hey, it’s my identity and I have too
much logo wear to change it now. LOL.

And what’s with those stations that hang right on the band edge that force you
to reduce your transmission bandwidth or go out of band.
I think I also set a NEW personal contest record where I only caught myself
twice inadvertently “out of band” on 40M.

It was great to hear all the FRC’ers in the pileups. Even my local neighbors
within 4-6miles (K2AX, N2SR, N2MM, W2TV) didn’t have any effect on my
operation this year. (Thanks for the tip W2TV.)

Now, I just have to deal with my swollen ankles (and my wife) after spending
toooo much time in the chair.

Great time!