[3830] CQWW SSB PX2A M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fernandopy2led@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB PX2A M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 12:40:05 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: PX2A
Operator(s): PY2BK PY2DY PY2LED PY2LSM PY2PT PY2XV PY2TC
Station: PX2A

Class: M/M HP
QTH: PX2A
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:    4     2        3
   80:  231    20       41
   40: 1147    33       88
   20: 2291    32      108
   15: 3050    31      112
   10: 1427    24       85
------------------------------

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

What a battle! We celebrated our 8th station anniversary on this CQWWSSB.

This year we decided to start maintenance 2 weeks before contest putting down 10
meter antenas to change coax, review all conections, wash elements. We also
changed  our old but trustable WX0B blue box by new Four Stack boxes made by
Hamplus@10m. At 15m, we have no time available to install same Four Stack box
but was necessary to replace WX0B box with problems.

We also grounded all celflex coax in two points (@ tower and @ station entrance)
looking to noise/interence reduction plus lightening protection.

For 10/15/20 meters we use stacks (6x6/5x5/4x4) and their was fine, besides some
interference cause on 10m by our 20m system and other similar issues. At 40m
band, we uses the old 4el KLM @ 25 meters (will be replaced soon by 3 el.
fullsize in a 36m self supported tower), 80m a rotary dipole @ 26m and 160m
Folded Monopole.

Decided to try a 5 el. wire yagi for 80m fixed to EU in between two towers but
we was unable to conclude the instalation due obstacles to fix elements. We do
have very high threes on middle of the property and this turns the task near
impossible. But we tried. Now looking for other possible solutions for this Low
bands.

we planned a M/2 but due to lack of time to run our Interlock system, decided to
jump to M/M 30 minutes before contest starts. 5 minutes to go, two amplifiers
decided to show problems and we started with two stations. OM2500A was not
accepting TS590SG. We changed to IC7700 and same problem happened. When in TX
mode, amp switch OFF alone. Maybe needs some relay box but we never used it
before.

First 2 hours we loose a lot of qsos due inactivity in other 2 bands.
A solid state amplifer was instaled 02 UTC and third station was on air with
900W letting us to hae 3 stations.

Around 8UTC (Saturday morning) we decided to install Ftdx101D with OM2500A and
bingo..no problem anymore. So, 04 amps back again and operation returned as
planned.

All went fine until Sunday 10:30am PY (12:30 UTC) when a thunderstorm arrived
with strong rain bringging lightening strikes in the area. We got a energy
failure until 5:30pm(PY) - 07:30pm UTC. Our small gasoline generator allowed
energy back again but we limited output power in 3 positions around 400~500W. We
experienced a wonderful RX without any QRM in the area. We could listen very
weak signals on 10m and 15m back again.

We estimates at least 1000 qsos less since propagation was very good.

Thanks for all our friends that supported station maintenance (Fabio PY2BK, Tony
PY2DY and Carlos Tower Climber PY2VM) and for all of you in our log.

Hope to talk with you again soon @CW mode.

Cheers,

PX2A - Alto da Serra Contest Team
#YourSouthAmericaBeacon