[3830] CQWW SSB W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6YX(N7MH) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 03:50:19 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:    7     3        3
   80:   27     9        8
   40:   86    20       23
   20:  267    21       41
   15:  218    22       39
   10:   86     9       12
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I'd never done a serious CQWW SSB low power effort before so I decided to try it
this year. My off-times may not have been the best for optimizing my score as
I'd woken up at 5 AM after 5 hours sleep on Friday, 12 hours before the contest
start. Not able to get back to sleep and unable to nap during the day my
off-times were dictated by when I needed to sleep more than anything else.

Here are my observations from the weekend:

CQing from Northern California with low power is unproductive most of the time.

The few times CQing is productive are the only times when SO2R is feasible.

I didn't miss much on 160 relative to others because it was noisy in the
Caribbean.

7128 to 7200 is too crowded for low power CQing from CA most of the time

I didn't hear any DX stations operating split on 40 as in previous years

Only EU heard on 40 were CT and EA but couldn't hear me

My off-times were 0730 to 1000 and 0300 to 0930, probably contributing to lack
of EU

I missed the EU opening on 40 in the last hour of the contest

When so much time is spent calling in pileups you miss other DX on the band

Sometimes you get lucky and find a new mult before they are spotted

Sometimes you are unlucky and they can't hear you even with no other callers

Very few of the many YBs, DUs and BYs on 40 could hear me calling with low
power

None of the 4 or 5 9W2s I heard or 9V1YC on 40 could hear me calling with low
power

Almost everyone could hear me on 10 ... except new mults HK3X and PZ5RA

Only 8 EU on 20 on Saturday, another 15 more on Sunday

Just 2 EU on 15, CR2X and SJ2W

No CT or EA on any band, but I called both on 40, 20 and 15

2 zero-pointers calling in a row on 20 meant I was CQing on the wrong antenna

Only 24 zero-pointers worked, and I called at least 5 for a zone or country
mult

I missed the Asia opening on 10 though I listened that direction all 3
afternoons

Thought I heard one local running JAs on 10 but it was his harmonic from 20

Never heard zones 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40

Missed VE2IM for zone 2, not heard by him on 80, couldn't break pileup on 20

Missed zone 16, UB7K was loud on 20 but not hearing me, several others heard on
20

Heard one JA being worked on 160 by K3EST, first JA heard on 160 SSB

Couldn't work BY on 80 even though several were loud, same happens with high
power

I had single-digit QSO rates during 11 of the full-time clock hours I was
active

Thanks to John, W6LD, and Pete, K6TJ, for resolving some antenna, rotator and
filter issues before the contest. Thanks for all the QSOs and for bearing with
all of the needed repeats due to the low power.

73,
-Mike, N7MH