[3830] SS SSB K5TA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5TA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 18:19:50 +0000

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

STATION:

TS-590SG + AL1200
80: Wire vertical
40: Dipole @80'
20: Dipole @70'
15: 3L 10/15 trap duo-bander @30'

Unlike many of you, I found 20m to be the go-to band -- just wish it didn't shut
down at sunset. Had no trouble finding a good run frequency. Interesting
anecdote on that -- I had a beautiful clear spot on 14.347 Sunday afternoon. The
10-Q rate bar was hovering around 110 for quite a while.  Somebody called me,
worked me properly, then asked if I would relinquish the frequency in 1/2 an
hour for a net that was to start then. We had a little negotiation, and I was so
impressed with his courtesy that I agreed, if he would tell me when the net
would QRT so I could return.  I needed to pee anyway, so at the top of the hour
when the net started, I took a 2-minute break and QSYed to 15.  I got a good run
going there, so I kind of forgot about the net.  About 30 minutes later, the
same guy called me **on 15** to tell me the net was about to end, but they would
hold the freq for me if I wanted to return.  That's cool.  I thanked him but
stayed in 15. I should have gone back -- KH7Q (I think that's the call) took it
and ran until the band closed.

Lots of deep QSB for me, especially on 40. Hope my error rate doesn't jump too
much.

Missed NT for the first time in quite a while.

Thanks for all the Qs.  AA5B and I are doing the ARRL writeup again this year,
so please send us any interesting pix or stories.  73, Scott