[3830] CQWW CW VE4VT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE4VT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 04:57:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36:34

  160:   10     6        5
   80:   75    11       16
   40:  238    29       68
   20:  309    28       84
   15:  182    27       67
   10:   59    16       23
------------------------------
Total:  873   117      262  Total Score = 830,389

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Well conditions varied by band throughout the weekend. At the start 15m was open
to Japan but by the time I moved to 40m, the only DX that was available was
zones 7-13.   This changed at European sunrise when there was a sudden weak
opening on 40m to Europe.  I have a very high noise level here on 160/80 so that
limits results significantly. I could hear the east coast feasting on Europe and
the west coast enjoyed the Asian buffet. We settled for crackers here in the
center of the continent.

Saturday night was a different story. There was no real 15m opening to Asia like
on Friday but 40m was weakly open to much of Europe for an extended period.

10m was open to Africa both mornings, but nothing was heard north of western
Spain. Good openings on 10 to KH6, ZL and VK but no Asia.

15m had brief but weak openings to Europe both mornings.

I chose to focus my efforts on working DX instead of running stateside for most
of the weekend.

One of the fun things this weekend was deciding when to change bands. Switching
to 40m late mornings gave me several mults in Asia and Europe I would have
missed. Then there is the balancing act of trying to catch the brief sunset
opening to Europe on 40m while there is a brief opening to Asia on 20m Both
bands needed attention simultaneously which made for a lot of fun.

I did find that the spotting network helped find the pileups.  I spent a lot of
time spinning the knob and almost always when I found DX that wasn't already
spotted, they were worked very quickly.  Still didn't break the 20m pileup to
zone 38!

If propagation stays like this, the ARRL 10m contest may be more than meteor
scatter QSO's this year.

Thanks for all the Q's and patience with this CW thing!

73 Ed VE4VT