[3830] CQWW CW G4BUO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dave@g4buo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G4BUO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:59:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: G4BUO
Operator(s): G4BUO
Station: G4BUO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  244    10       42
   80:  914    14       55
   40:  749    23       72
   20: 1069    25       75
   15:  719    27       75
   10:   82    16       40
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Covid-19 has meant we couldn't enter multi-op from M6T this year and my plan for
single-op from M6T was also ruled out by the latest lockdown. Having seen during
CQWW SSB that my low antennas at home do work, I added my trusty old Tet
tribander on 33ft of lightweight tower, put up with a falling derrick and
manouvered around the trees at the bottom of the garden. The QTH is on a hill
with a nice slope to the west, which gave a greater effective height to the beam
and to the 40m inverted vee just below it.

My original thought was just to have some fun and give out points, but although
the back garden is only 45ft by 90ft I managed to squeeze in some other antennas
to give me a limited SO2R capability and decided to put in a more serious entry.
With stubs and Dunestar filters there was very little inter-station QRM.
However, my homebrew SO2R box wasn't behaving correctly and this coupled with
tiredness meant that my most productive way of finding mults was to dedicate
time to multiplier hunting. The second radio was mostly used to look for band
openings and to mop up needed stations when the rate dropped on the run radio.

It appears that one of the neighbours has recently acquired a plasma TV and this
caused a lot of noise on 80m in particular, but by mounting the LZ1AQ receive
loop at the bottom of my garden I found I could hear well on the band. So well
that I could copy PT4A CQing on my frequency on Sunday evening! He couldn't copy
me, nor the several other Europeans that called him.

I went to 10m at 1400 on Sunday and almost immediately found N4BP CQing. I
called straight away as I thought this was my one chance for an NA QSO. He came
back, and so did C6AGU on the same frequency! I opted for N4BP to give me the
double mult, but then worked several more Ws down the band and a single VO1. I
never did find C6AGU again.

Great fun as always, and very high activity though the lack of contest
expeditions was very noticeable. Once 15m closed on Sunday, 20 was just a wall
of signals and I ended up running for a while on 14.122, with plenty of takers.

Dave G4BUO

160/80: Tee antenna up 32ft; LZ1AQ for receive
40: Inverted vee dipole up 32ft also used on 15
20/15/10: Tet HB33SP tribander up 35ft; 20m delta loop; 10m vertical

Win-test 4.33

K3 + Ten-Tec Centurion
K3 + HF Gemini from Linear Amp UK