[3830] CQWW CW KA1IS SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KA1IS SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 20:18:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:   15     8        8
   80:  112    45       13
   40:  259    66       22
   20:  260    70       24
   15:  289    65       18
   10:   27    14       11
------------------------------
Total:  962   268       96  Total Score = 1,000,272

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well... I started out on QRP -  but raised power to between 10-15 watts - due to
frustration with a combination of weather related SWR/antenna tuning issues, a
broken radio, and just wanting to be louder.

15 meters was phenomenal.

80 meters during the last hour of the contest was also amazing. European
stations calling CQ and hardly any other stations on the band. I was able to get
through on first calls - thought I was dreaming - but stations are actually in
the log - unlike other instances where I nodded off.

=== station ===
Field operation from Witt Hill in Norway Maine. Using ice-fishing tent and
battery power. See QRZ page.

Friday: 2 Tentec Argonaut 6's (5 watts each)
Saturday/Sunday: Tentec Argonaut 6 (10 watts) + Tentec Eagle (15 watts) - one of
the Argo's failed.

Using wire beams (3 and 4 elements) on various bands and directions. See QRZ
page.

This was my first attempt at SO2R. Using passive audio mixer and some 2x8
antenna switches. If I were to do it again I would use a dedicated SO2R box and
simplify the antenna switching. But probably not worth it unless using enough
output power to run.

There was an instance where I was accidentally using the 10 meter antenna on 15
meters and didn't realize why the band suddenly closed. This went on for at
least 20 minutes.

I was getting a ton of KA1? responses from calls during this contest. What
finally solved problem in most cases was sending: "KA1IS [long pause] I S
[short pause] I S" - Really spacing out the I and the S. Time to get a new
callsign???

Tom
KA1IS