[3830] CQWW CW VK3MI SOSB40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bdm556@bigpond.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK3MI SOSB40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 13:00:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VK3MI
Operator(s): VK3MI
Station: VK3MI

Class: SOSB40 LP
QTH: Victoria
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:
   80:
   40: 1106    30       78
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1106    30       78  Total Score = 350,892

Club:

Comments:

It was a real pleasure to be able to get out and have some fun playing with
radio again, after being locked down in Melbourne city for much of the year.

I decided to have another go in the 40M low power unassisted category and see if
I could improve on my 2019 score in this category. I used the same portable set
up and rural farm location as last year. The antennas were two dipoles
temporarily hauled up between trees to a height of around 20 metres – one
dipole was orientated for working Europe and the other for North America.

Despite my best efforts, the claimed score is about 10% less than what I
achieved last year. Propagation seemed poor on the Saturday night and this was
not helped by QRN from local lightning storms. It was difficult to run stations
for any length of time, so I ended up doing a lot of S&P work. Sunday night
was much better, but I was unable to fully recover from the deficit on Saturday.
I also only managed to log 78 countries, compared to 90 in 2019. I suspect this
was at least partly due to COVID travel impacts restricting the number of active
DX entities.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and being patient in copying my weak signal
amongst the QRM and QRN!

Radio: Flex-6400 100W
Antennas: Two dipoles at 20m AGL