[3830] CQWW CW W3HKK SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3hkk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3HKK SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 16:19:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CENTRAL OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 29.4

  160:   61    13       28
   80:   54    14       27
   40:  206    29       76
   20:  232    28       75
   15:  159    19       60
   10:   33     9       11
------------------------------
Total:  745   112      277  Total Score = 801,340

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

W3HKK (since 1956) runs 800w into an all wire antenna farm.  2-el vertical
phased arrays  are used on 40, 20, 15m.  A 52' tall 1/4 wave INV-Ls are used on
160/80, with 26 x 65' radials deployed in winter.  EQPT:  IC 7610 - ACOM 1000 -
N1MM+ logger (which worked flawlessly, as usual.

Fri night was disappointing on the low bands due to many weak fluttery or watery
signals, and  moderate QRN. 160m  had limited European DX  both nights (just 12
Euro countries in the log)  I had been spoiled by recent 160 DX propagation.
This was a major fall off.

Sat morning after a nap I awoke and  hit 160-80-40 from 6am on.  Much improved
conditions and a good number of JAs VKs and ZLs.  Not many Pacific islands
Around 9am I  went to 20 and it was booming with signals.  Had a field day
S&P'ing as high as 14.140 getting the soldiers standing alone.  Then 15m got
into the  fray.  And  around noon 10m  opened to  SA, the Carrib, and  some
islands in the Atlantic.  20m showed  its stuff again around 2100z with a wall
of JAs that had me  feeling like I was mowing the (JA) grass.  Now that was fun.
 Signals werent blasting in but they were all light to moderate copy on my 2 el
vert phased array looking at  Asia. Heard China but too weak to call or
inundated with callers. Many BY spots but not workable.  Following 20's  quick
closing after sunset, it was back to 160-80-40.  160 had improved  a bit.
Steadier sigs. No QRN. A few more Euros. Best  TB DX was LZ-5B-9K2.
Disappointing.
Sun morning at 5 am I again found 40 very productive into JA-VK-ZL, and my only
islands were 3D2 and KH6.   20M was terrific again as I   moved up and down the
band adding Euros, Africans, and  before SS, many more JAs, a BY, TA. TR, and
numerous other Africans.

Wkd the 5T5 on 80-15.4X on 40-20-15. TI on 6B. the 7Q on 40, ZL on 80-15.

And as the  contest neared its end, I spent the final 12 minutes on 40 adding
three new mults.

So the contest started out   poor,  really settled down on Sat for nice openings
up thru 10m, and seemed to gain steam Sunday, with many  Asians heard on 20 at
our SS.

The choice of six bands provided plenty of chances to  work all continents, and
a steady diet of Euros.  My top  QSO countries were:  VE(76)-JA(65)-DL(37).
 Most QSO-BANDS: 20-40-15-160-80-10. Nice to hear some Euros on 10m Sunday
afternoon. But it came at a trade-off on 160m.

Great fun with  new SS  from the new SS cycle finally making their presence
felt.My  decision to mine all the bands in  S&P mode, aiming for mults was
fairly successful.  In retrospect, I  could  have benefitted from some  CQing.
altho  my 2020 score is a solid 25% higher than my previous  all-time cw score
in 2019.