[3830] ARRL 160 WB8WKQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WB8WKQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 17:24:13 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 764  Sections = 76  Countries = 6  Total Score = 126,772

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I decidedly firmly, I was not going to participate in this contest.  Not that
it's not one of the more exciting contests, but because I'm getting older and I
just don't bounce back from staying up till morning two nights in a row.  Told a
buddy I wasn't going to participate.  Well, in this "lockdown" world,
and with nothing but a very meaningless college football game on Friday night, I
said, well, let's go over to 160 and hand out a few Q's.  Bad move!  Worked a
quick 75 and caught the fever.  I guess this is like any other vice, one needs
to go completely cold turkey!  So found myself at 4 am still making Q's Friday
night (or rather Saturday morning).  Then the goal became, "can I beat my
score from 2017?".  Are we creatures of habit or what?  After duping out,
looks like I had 722 official Qs and 77 mults for about 112K back three years
ago.  Hopefully, I accomplished my goal, with about 5 more mults.  Even with LP,
I was able to, at times, hold a frequency to run.  Biggest thrill?  CQing
relentless with minimal success, then EA7X answers me!  That was all the
motivation I needed for the rest of the night.  Turns out that was the only EU
station I worked, but LP is a tough animal. In fact, Friday night, ran at 100W,
because I thought that ws the max for LP.  Looked it up on Saturday before the
band opened and found out I could run 150, which I did the second night.  Not
sure it made a hill of beans difference though. This is a great contest, and my
only request would be that 160M be open only in the daylight hours!!  Thanks for
all the Q's.