[3830] ARRL 160 WD6T SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WD6T SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 19:57:40 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: WD6T

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Berkeley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 1

Total:  QSOs = 34  Sections = 22  Countries = 0  Total Score = 1,496

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Did two evening shifts (remotely) to NT6V@N6RO.  After the second one, I thought
I'd see what my antenna-challenged home station could do if I were fresh meat.

Ever since I installed a small magnetic receiving loop, I can hear better than I
can be heard, as my wire TX antenna is NVIS with no trees or other tall
structures, antenna height restrictions and a 100x40' lot. I did manage to fix
my tuner and can now increase the power to 500w without arcing or smoke
emanation.

Starting at 0700z, I called CQ and got a small pile up of W. Coasters for a few
minutes, then it was gone.  S&P'ed the louder signals, but some still
couldn't hear me. Most of what I worked was west of the Rockies, though I
managed to work MI, MN, and IA. All of these are tough from here. (I don't think
I've ever reached the E. Coast.) I could hear a few XE's and other mid-west
states, but they couldn't hear me. Two in STX copied me, but it was a challenge.

I have a 160m top loaded vertical disassembled in my attic, but I don't really
have a place to put it where the guy wires won't impeded my ability to get to
and from my backyard office/shack.