[3830] ARRL 160 NN7CW SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NN7CW@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NN7CW SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 01:51:27 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: NN7CW
Operator(s): NN7CW
Station: NN7CW

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 22

Total:  QSOs = 1000  Sections = 80  Countries = 15  Total Score = 196,080

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

The goal for this one was to reach a similar result than last year, which I was
not able to accomplish, despite having added a second set of K9AY loops to
bolster my Rx situation. Not sure why but it appeared that many DX stations I
worked last year couldn't be bothered to show up this time. In general, the band
felt noisy and not awfully hot, on Friday and even more so on Saturday. I think
it also did not quiet down as I experienced it last year, which might be a
contributing factor to the overall decreased DX count.
In order to to test the phased loop arrays on weak stations I had chosen to go
Assisted, so next to running I did a lot of clicking, instead of searching and
pouncing not yet worked stations. Unbelievable how many wrong calls there were
in the bandmap! Probably close to ten times I caught myself clicking and working
someone and realizing while doing so that the call was wrong and I had already
worked him earlier. Using a bandmap definitely made me pay less attention to
what I was doing, despite feeling quite incompetent in those moments I realized
that I was creating yet another dupe...
Speaking of dupes, my highlight was a funny, quite extensive exchange with a guy
I tried to work who claimed that we had had a QSO before. This was Saturday
night when I had already worked north of 90% of my QSOs and felt like wrapping
it up shortly, so I figured I had some time on my hands to entertain what had
just started unfolding: I called the guy and he said "QSO b4". So I
called him again because, as I mentioned, the band was noisy and I figured he
might not have copied my call correctly. Once again, he says that he had worked
me before, that I was a dupe and also sent the time stamp of our previous QSO.
Of course, I wasn't ready to receive anything other than a standard exchange, so
I sent a question mark. He goes again with the whole before thing and the time
stamp while I was scrambling to find a pencil. Of course I was not fast enough,
so I had to ask him yet again and he repeated the time stamp twice at fairly low
speed. I then told him that I am going to check my log and he sent thanks, 73
and carries on his run. I guess the whole dialog took about a minute and since I
wasn't in a hurry, I was quite amused. Checking both times (Fr and Sa) didn't
bring up any call that looked remotely like his, so I decided to call him once
again (about two minutes after our first exchanges) to see what happens next.
Sure enough, he comes back with QSO b4 again. So I tell him in clear text that
we just went through this and I do not have him in my log, so he should probably
go ahead and delete our QSO. (Un)surprisingly, he then comes back saying
"ok new QSO NN7CW de NA**, 5nn WPA". I quickly completed the exchange
and we eventually finished the longest contest QSO I ever had, HI!

On this cheery note, vy 73 and hopefully till next week in the 10m contest!
Wolf, NN7CW