[3830] ARRL 10 AC4G SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac4g@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AC4G SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 23:29:49 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: AC4G
Operator(s): AC4G
Station: AC4G

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

   CW:  422    65
  SSB:  582    51
-------------------
Total: 1004   116  Total Score = 330,832

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

My noise saga continues to haunt me.  And had a few amp faults, but resoldering
a connector missed in previous contests helped tremendously to stay operational.
 More later on noise issue....

Friday evening when the contest began, we had good opening to the NE USA.  I ran
SSB to get some QSOs in the log since I could run lots faster the CW.  Ran until
about 11:00 pm local time when the band seemed to drop out fast.  Wow I must
have worked almost 100 MASSACHUSETTS stations.

Got up Saturday morning early to find that the openings were slim and signals
came from the the SE (Florida, Caribbean, and S.A.)  Worked a bunch of FLORIDA
stations.  Ran until noise hit me about 1000 am local time.  The noise was a
growling, frying sound that put me off the air until about 5:00 pm local just
after dark when the noise subsided quite a bit.  I lost about 6 hours when
normally I could have remained operational making QSOS.  Ran until about 8:00 pm
local when the bands petered-out.

Woke up Sunday morning and ran a little while on CW until noise crept with me
around 0900 am local and drove me off the air.  Around 1230 pm local time I
decided to bear the noise and do my best where I picked up another 500 QSOs
contending with noise and not so good conditions.  Band was open somewhat to the
NE USA and then to the western USA where I made some needed QSOs per the west
coast stations for east coast states.  Glad I could provide Tennessee to the
west coat and north (MN and WI).  Band dropped out before dark around 4:00 pm
local time where I gave it up and went hunting.

Thanks for all of the QSOs and must solve my noise issue soon before it drives
me crazy.  Dealing with lots of noise is not fun!  All in all, I exceeded mu
goal for number of QSOs this year.  BTW, Sunday morning provided a brief opening
to EUROPE (9A, I, S5, DL, G, F6, etc.) but signals were weak at my station
before the noise took over allowing me to make a few QSOs.

This year I used 4 yagi's on 10m and the best was my high 4 element yagi.  If
you recall from last year, my 5 element yagi up 25 feet was my bread and butter
antenna allowing me to make my QSOs.  However, this year, my high yagi was the
best performer.  Ended up putting my rotor to good use for this antenna.

Again, thanks for the QSOs and the great attitude by all on the bands!  73
Bruce AC4G