[3830] ARRL 10 AA4LR SO SSB Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AA4LR SO SSB Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 01:39:47 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH: Georgia
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   CW:
  SSB:  182    43
-------------------
Total:  182    43  Total Score = 15,652

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 13m, fixed Southeast

Equipment:
K3/100 w/ KAT3
AL-80A running 500 watts

Comments:

I'm in the bidding of repairing the A3S/A743, and it is stuck at the top of the
tower for some adjustments to the Driven Element, so I operated the contest with
the beam pointed South East, which is not an optimal direction.

Did Phone only and ran the amp.

Apparently I missed a big opening Friday night. I switched off around 0115,
which turned out to be a mistake. Apparently there was a widespread E-skip
opening to the northeast and west. Of course, with the beam stuck South East, I
probably would have missed out.

Although I climbed the tower Friday afternoon, I was not up to climbing
Saturday, and my climb on Sunday was brief. I need to be fresh to finish the
work up there. It's too physically demanding and stressful.

It was fun to hand out Qs for this contest. Saturday the band died shortly after
sunset. Sunday the band died about an hour before sunset.