[3830] ARRL 10 G0AEV SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 G0AEV SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 15:11:19 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: G0AEV
Operator(s): G0AEV
Station: G0AEV

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: IO81
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

   CW:
  SSB:  93     27
-------------------
Total:  93     27  Total Score = 4,860

Club:

Comments:

Well, that was the strangest 10m contest I can remember for some time. That
conditions would be relatively poor was a given, and it was inevitable that the
CW end of the band would enjoy longer openings and CW be the better mode for
weak signal working, but activity levels seemed very skewed towards CW operation
in Europe this year. I was phone only but I listened a fair bit at the bottom of
the band to gauge propagation and I can't count the number of times when there
was nothing, or nothing much, on phone but on CW I could hear G stations working
each other, Europeans and - most galling of all - lots (or so it seemed) of Ws
and VEs.  Some of the latter were moderately strong with me yet I only heard a
few extremely weak signals from North America on SSB and worked only one - KD7RF
(Alabama), who gets a prize for hearing my low power under the most marginal of
conditions.  Even South America, usually reliable at current solar flux levels,
was very poor - just a handful of PY stations + FY5KE worked, and I couldn't get
through to the CE stations I heard or work HI3CC.  Propagation to Africa was
fine with D4, V5 and ZS in the log without any difficulty, but I heard nothing
from Asia, in fact nothing east of the Ukraine. Was that just me?  Europeans
were occasionally strong in rather localised sporadic E, especially on paths to
Scandinavia, otherwise QSOs had to rely on background scatter and some tropo.  I
was particularly pleased to work GM on two occasions when I turned the beam
north for that very purpose - MM0TFU on early morning enhanced tropo and GM2V
via meteor scatter.