[3830] ARRL 10 W6PH SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W6PH SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:04:09 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating Time (hrs): 16.6

   CW:  578    68
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  578    68  Total Score = 157,216

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

K3S SPE 1.3K-FA  5 el yagi at 60 feet  WinTest

I have not had any antennas up for the past two years.  After CQWW CW there
seemed to be life on 10 meters.  So Friday afternoon I decided to give it a try.
 I assembled my old 5 el 10m yagi and raised it on my AB-577 (10 tubes).

The contest started out well on Friday night with the LU's and PY's coming
through as well as the southern tier from Arizona to Florida.  Saturday morning
the band opened at 7:30 am with a conduit to Florida which gradually opened up
toward the mid-Atlantic states.  There was a broad spotlight from E clouds all
day and different areas would peak up.  Sunday morning the band did not open as
well and propagation was not nearly as good as Saturday.

I didn't work any stations in the Pacific due to a 14,000 foot mountain (Mt
Whitney) five miles west of me effectively cutting out any low angle
propagation.

Working other Cal stations was very interesting with the bursts of signals.  It
was almost like meteor or aircraft reflections.  One second they were S9 plus
and then go to ESP instantly.

I missed DE, IA, ND, Maritimes, and NWT's.  But I got eight WY's and five NE's.

It was a good contest.

73, Kurt W6PH