[3830] TBDC GW5R(GW3YDX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC GW5R(GW3YDX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 16:18:17 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: GW5R
Operator(s): GW3YDX
Station: GW5R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Powys
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 650  Total Score = 4,213

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Another interesting contest. In the UK we were experiencing a violent storm, and
rain static on the receive antennas made copy very difficult much of the time. I
was delighted to be called by JA5DQH at the early hour of 17:22. Aki sure has
very good ears. I never heard another JA in the contest. Apart from the usual
great signal from UA9BA, there seemed very few signals on from anywhere in Asia.

Murphy struck at 1930 on Saturday evening when the very strong winds broke the
support rope on the inverted-L. It had been up there for four years. Amazing it
chose that moment to let go.  I went out to take a look and was nearly blown
backwards by the wind and soaked by freezing rain. I returned indoors and
remarked to my daughter “To hell with this, the contest is over”. She
replied (good girl that she is) “That shows a serious lack of commitment,
Dad” So I went out again, more suitably clothed, and fixed the antenna. Took
about 40 minutes with flashlight held in my mouth to leave both freezing hands
free. Got on again and resumed....

Conditions were very average, with a lot of S+P needed to bring in the USA
distance contacts. I believe I worked ZL3IX Sunday morning from a CQ but it was
very “scratchy”. We'll see if the QSO was good when the logs come in.