[3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ron.spencer@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:32:51 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 805

Total:  QSOs = 694  Total Score = 2,673

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

Was looking forward to this contest as always. Have put up several new receive
only antennas hoping they would work well for second receiver while main array
was focused on EU. Good news is they indeed worked well.

Started earlier than usual and the band was already quite busy. Excellent! Good
rate for first few hours but mostly 2 and 3 pointers. I knew it wasn't going to
be a better score than last year when it wasn't until 2323 that I worked my
first European.

Band seemed to go through several changes. There were times when the EU signals
peaked up nicely. But then fell back down. This happened a couple times
throughout the contest.

If I added it up right I worked just shy of 60 EU stations. Couple 18 pointers
which was a nice surprise given the conditions.

I'm always torn whether to just run or do more S&P. I mostly ran this
contest. But did sweep the band a couple times throughout the contest which paid
off with several of the EU stations worked.

Highlight was finding HL5IVL late in the morning. Difficult but Kim was very
patient. He was the only station from Asia worked.

>From reading some other posts I see Kevin, VK6LW, was on. Looked down that way
lot in the morning but sorry to say I missed him and any other S Pacific
stations that were on.

A couple thoughts: If you don't hear me repeat your full call, correctly, back
to you, that means I don't have it correct. I lost several Qs when folks would
not complete their call. Shame as I know at least one DX station thought they
worked me and did not.

Also, zero beating seems to be a growing challenge. I try to run with a somewhat
wide filter (400hz) to reduce this issue. But, there were several stations, LOUD
stations, that were so far off zero beat that the only hint I had they were
there was a line close to my on the panadapter. If you are baffled why folks are
taking so long working you, perhaps this is the reason.

Another issue seems to be an increase in less than clean signals. Seemed lots of
key clicks. In my opinion, absolutely no excuse for this. Folks, please fix your
radios. Anything faster than 6ms rise time is not good. A shame some OEMs let
you choose timing faster than this.

As always, thank you all for your patience as rapid and deep QSB was taking
signals from easy Q5 copy to noise in the time it takes to give your call.

A fun even if somewhat frustrating contest this year. Tree and the Boring Radio
Club, thanks for continuing to sponsor this contest. Great way to heat the
upstairs!

Equipment
Anan 7000DLE
Alpha 91b amp
phased towers for xmit
circle array and several other receive antennas
N1MM+ for logging.