[3830] TBDC KU8E Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ku8e@ku8e.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KU8E Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:44:41 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: KU8E
Operator(s): KU8E
Station: KU8E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:22

Total:  QSOs = 470  Total Score = 1,526

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

K3/100, Acom 1000 ~ 800 watts, Inverted L with 9 elevated radials

I hadn't really planned on spending much time in the SP. K4BAI was over my house
with plans to operate the contest remotely to the PJ4G contest station in
Bonaire. I was going to just play around from my own station and be around the
shack if there were any technical glitches with the remote. Unfortunately for
John the internet service went out to the house in Bonaire about an hour into
the contest for him. It's not easy to get someone over to the house right away
to check things out but WW4LL got his man in Bonaire over to the house about an
hour later and they determine that the power to the house wasn't out but the
internet was. There probably wasn't a great chance it would be back up anytime
soon because the locals are on island time down there. Thanks to Fred for his
efforts to determine what was wrong. Unfortunately this was totally out of his
control. By that time John decided to can it and go home to operate. Any of you
who own a remote station can probably relate to this. Just imagine the
challenges of having that station in another country and you can't go there to
do maintenance because of COVID travel bans.

After John left I went out to dinner with my son who's home from college break
right now. So I didn't get on the air in the SP until around 0125z. The first
few hours were great. 67 QSO's in that 1/2 hour and 127 QSO's in the next hour.
The rate dropped after the 04z hour but I decided to keep going until just after
the EU sunrise. Conditions to EU weren't all that great. I envy you all who
report working over 100 EU stations on 160 meters. I've only had that happen to
me once (in ARRL DX CW this year) in the almost 20 years I've lived in Georgia.
I did work a few EU. Although the signals from the west coast were very good
here in GA.

HNY to all my contesting friends.

Jeff KU8E

Day        Hr   1.8  Tot  Accum