[3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:46:40 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): N2HM W2CG W2GD W2NO
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 13:45

Total:  QSOs = 938  Total Score = 4,657

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3S x 3
OM2000 @ 1.4 KW
Win-Test Software V. 4.28
Two Element Vertical Wire Beam Apex @ 240 feet - aims NE/West/Omni over
saltwater  Seven Beverages + Hi-Z Four

Overall participation seemed to be up once again compared to the last two BIG
STEW  events ... the run rates for the first few hours were nothing short of
terrific.  But conditions at our lat/long were down and we never had that 'it
sounds like 20 meters' moment all weekend.  Some enhancement at EU sunrise was
observed, particularly to Scandinavia. Propagation to the US west coast was
pretty good much of the evening but beyond the coast rather dismal.  No KL7, VK,
ZL, or JA and only one KH6.

We enjoyed dry but seasonably cold winter weather following a damaging coastal
storm the day before.   Upon inspection we found one of our TX antenna elements
wrapped around two dish antennas mounted on the 300' tower but with some careful
rope work the wire was un-snagged ... and a very cold tower climb avoided.

As mentioned EU signals were never super loud but the flow was consistent for
many hours.   About 20% of our total contacts came from EU.  The total number of
EU contacts was down significantly compared to the past two years which confirms
our overall perception of poor conditions last night.

|   EU   |   NA   |   SA   |   AF   |   AS   |   OC   |
|  19.0% |  80.6% |   0.2% |        |        |   0.2% |

Thanks to the Boring ARC for continuing to sponsor and manage this contesting
gem and also to the owners of WYRS-FM for allowing us to use and enjoy their
superb MF radio location.

Looking forward to the CQ160 CW next month - hope you are too.

73,

John, W2GD
For the 160 CW Team