[3830] TBDC K2PO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@conwellpdx.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K2PO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 22:20:32 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 281  Total Score = 2,179

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I worked the first hour remotely, and then drove to the station Saturday
afternoon to operate the rest of the contest in person.

This was my first Stew with the Flex 6500 on the desk.  I also had the K3
running, and spent time comparing the rigs.  Each has its strengths.

I heard a few Russians and Baltic stations, but couldn’t raise any with 100
watts - no big surprise there.  But I was surprised at my difficulty logging
Asians.  They’re usually workable  here - especially the big guns.  But I
called and called JH4UYB the first hour with no joy.  And I similarly called
JE1CKA and HL5IVL later in the contest without any success.  All had good
signals here.  Perhaps they had noisy band conditions this weekend.  I ended
with 3 Asians in the log - down from 8 last year and 14 the year before.

Leading up to the contest I fussed a bit with the Shard Apex Loop SAL-30
receiving antenna, and got it into pretty good shape.  So I spent more time than
usual S&Ping - looking for weak stations to work.  (46% of my QSOs were on a
different frequency than preceding/following QSOs, i.e., S&P, vs. 38% last
year.)  I think the increased S&Ping helped my average QSO value.  (My
average stateside QSO was worth 7.5 points, vs. 6.9 points last year.)

Thanks to all the fb TB ops, and the Boring ARC,

/Bill, K2PO