[3830] TBDC N9TF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9TF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 03:04:36 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 351  Total Score = 1,406

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Lots of fun as always. Best raw score, Q count, and grid count since playing in
this contest. Hopefully log checking will be kind. I experienced quite a lot of
fast deep QSB at times that made copy of calls and exchange difficult. Worked a
lot of weak stations, so I hope there are good surprises in store for additional
points for Qrp stations worked!
The highlight of this contest for me was being called by GW5R during an hour
long run between 02:50 and 03:54. The run only netted me 68 Qs, but GW5R called
in at 03:08, and I only needed one repeat on Ron's grid due to a fast qsb dip.
I worked a total of 4 DX. The GW plus a G, ZF, and KP2. I only heard one other
DX, a YL when S&Ping, but he faded away fast and never heard him again.
I had several west coast, WA, OR, and CA call in while running. No KH6 or KL
heard here.
By about 1:30am local, things started slowing down fast, and my CQs were going
unanswered for long periods, and S&P was not turning up any new calls. My
layer of signals RX and TX had evaporated. Last Q logged at 08:46utc and pulled
the plug at 09:00utc. Slept in well past sunrise, so never made it back on for a
sunrise look see.
I'm going to have to do some maintenance on the inverted L. The 65' horizontal
section going east to the tree has gotten tangled in a tree branch from the last
wind storm recently, and is kinked and twisted around the branch. SWR at the
bottom of the band jumped to 2.5:1 up to about 1.820. It is now resonant shorter
up above 1.850. I'll have plenty of time after January 2 to work on antennas, as
I will be retired as of that date!
Thanks to the Boring Amateur Radio Club for sponsoring such a fun contest.
Thanks for all the Qs!
Thank you KE0L for the additional side competition. Always fun to make a
separate competition with you.

73 Gene, N9TF

Rig K3S set to 70 watts (for KE0L power rule!)
Antenna: Inverted L 30' vertical 65' horizontal east, and 35' horizontal south
sloping down to 15' above ground.