[3830] NAQP CW K3PP Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3PP Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 05:39:18 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K3PP
Operator(s): K3PP
Station: K3PP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:37

  160:   16    11
   80:  257    42
   40:  143    40
   20:   60    23
   15:    2     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  478   118  Total Score = 56,404

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Team: FRC Team Mercury

Comments:

I did this from my log cabin with my old IC-775, a compromise station, a
compromise terrain, but I had a real blast and yielded my all-time top NAQP CW
by measure of QSOs! My score was down because I was unable to get much going on
the high bands. The main antenna is a battered old Butternut HF9V-X. It's pretty
good on 40 and a small sliver of 80, but other bands are not great. I eked out
two QSOs on 15 and heard zilch on 10. I have no antenna for 160, so I tried
using a 40m dipole with the tuner and to my amazement, I managed to get 16
stations to hear me! My EIRP was probably less than QRPp!

Funny story: I was running on 80m and suddenly, I heard a good friend calling CQ
on top of me. I couldn't understand why he was doing this to me. He's a great
guy and this was most uncharacteristic of him. He didn't respond to numerous QRL
warnings and personal shout-outs to QSY! Did he have an obnoxious guest op? Was
there some strange one-way propagation? Did he suddenly go from Dr. Jekyll to
Mr. Hyde? Well, it was none of the above. It was cockpit error on MY part! My
laptop has the grave accent just under the ESC key. On one of my frantic
attempts to stop my transmission with the ESC key, my fat, stupid finger hit the
accent key and turned on the dual watch. My friend was completely legit on the
second RX frequency and oblivious to the fact that I was freaking out! I finally
looked at the radio and immediately realized my boneheaded mistake! Sigh! I went
back to my callers who were probably wondering what mental breakdown was going
on with me!

Boy, I sure missed the spectrum display of my IC-7610! I like going old-school
sometimes, but we certainly get spoiled by the bells and whistles of modern
gear!

Fun time - well, except for that one numbskull incident!! TU to all for the
QSOs!