[3830] NAQP CW WA2VYA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2vya@msn.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW WA2VYA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 07:38:15 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: WA2VYA
Operator(s): WA2VYA
Station: WA2VYA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 2h 43m

  160:  71     29
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  71     29  Total Score = 2,059

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

ICOM IC-706MkIIG 100 watts output.
160m Inverted Vee apex at 40 feet.

I did not expect to operate this contest, because my 160m antenna was on the
ground for the last month until this morning.

This antenna was up 17 feet prior to coming down in December.
I decided to test it now that it is higher, by getting into the NAQP CW.

When tested this afternoon the VSWR bottomed out at 1.5:1.  Tonight, the minimum
would not go below 1.7:1, and an hour later it was 2.0:1.  Yes, there is a 1:1
current balun in the line.  Something is obviously wrong.

The only change to the antenna from before was to move it higher above the
ground.  The VSWR bottomed out at 1.1:1 when the antenna was at 17 feet, but
most of my signal went straight up or into the ground.

Even with the high VSWR, the antenna performed better tonight at 40 feet than it
had previously up 17 feet.  People actually heard me and I made some contacts.

The NAQP turned out to be a good test.  I decided part way through to put a
tuner in the line and keep operating.

My antennas on the other bands are temporarily dismantled and not operational,
so this was a single band 160m effort.

73, Frank WA2VYA