[3830] NAQP SSB KT7E(KE7AUB) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke7aub@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KT7E(KE7AUB) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 03:54:19 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KT7E
Operator(s): KE7AUB
Station: K7ZS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 9:57

  160:    0     0
   80:   32    18
   40:  204    48
   20:  105    40
   15:  304    37
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  645   143  Total Score = 92,235

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Last minute decision to enter the KT7E club call as single op. We normally enter
as M2. But things have not been normal lately, well except where... well, this
is ham radio so I'll bite my tongue (ouch!).

Started on 20M, a zoo to say the least. S&P only, no luck in getting a run
freq. Then off to 15M one hour later, for 2 3/4 hours of fun, a bit of S&P
until a run freq was landed a short time later. 200+ run rates a lot of times. I
think I had 151 rate for 1 hr alone. Rate dropped in the last 45 mins below 100
for the first time. Probably should have left 15M 15 mins earlier than I did.
All I saw on the final sweep was two PY stations on 15.

Found a nice run freq on 20 and had a rate of 150-250+ going for 8 mins after 52
minutes of S&P, and then - hit the ` key instead of 1 key (I can touch type,
just not a pro at it) and also unwittingly yanked the headphone line just enough
to yank it out of the socket at the same time. Took me a tad too long to realize
it all, and lost the freq. GRRRRRRR!!!!! Costly, Costly, Costly. I guess I am
murphy?

Went to 40M a bit early, 15:20 PDT for the West Coast but... Did not want to
waste more time trying to find a run freq in the 20M Zoo. 40M was packed and the
40M moxon with 100W was having no problems. Snagged a run freq after an hour of
S&P at a decent rate, and off to the races,2 hr run hitting 200+ rates at
times, before the unwanted neighbors arrived. Then off to 75/80 M for 100
minutes just to grab mults as the 40M run freq was no longer producing the rate
needed. I think it was the correct trade off with 18 mults for 15K points or so
on 80.

All in all happy with my operation, other than the 20M op issue. Guess I need to
get on at 9 am to stake a 20M run freq for the start. Oh, well...

Station played well. 15M was a blast. 40M was fun too. Lots of nice comments on
the station signal. 20 -- grrrr, not the wave length, but the op incident.

N1MM+, get rid of the ` key that puts the ICOM's in to dual watch mode. Doof -
stupid in German. The 0 and O key keyboard location proximity gets me in enough
trouble at times.

Thanks to K7ZS for letting me play. The 15M / 20M NK7U stack makes it fun. The
moxon on 40 is always fun.

Thanks to all worked KT7E. Apologies to some stations that were just in the mud.
I had a great run rate going and just could not give the extra effort to try and
pull you out. I did pull a few others out not quite all in the mud - well one
station was, but the rate was down a bit by then.

About the KL and KH stations. had a KL call me on 20. Said I was his first Q
after trying for quite a while. Signal was about 5-2, with my antenna pointed NE
and SE split.  Maybe allow them to HP in the LP class? No different that SO2R in
the Single OP class (yes this is a gripe of mine - SO2R in the Single OP class).