[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3AAA SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka3rwp@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3AAA SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 20:39:47 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  159    73  Total Score = 12,191

Club:

Comments:

Morning snow squalls cause high SWR and RFI

Light ice accumulation had materialized overnight from Friday and heavy snow
began sticking to antennas and accumulating around the 10 a.m. hour Saturday, I
sat and watched the SWR climb slowly up and knew that this contest was over
before it even started for me. By afternoon, we had snowfall of 2.7 inches and
SWR touching 3:1 on 2 meters and higher on other bands, temperatures did climbed
above freezing by midday or so but not enough to thaw out antennas, additional
snow fell through Saturday night and more snow showers all day Sunday.

The high SWR was causing RFI on 6 meters to the point where it was interfering
with the COM ports and shutting down communication between N1MM and the radio
prompting error message: N1MM Logger Lost Communication with Radio 1 - Radio #
1, FT-847 on COM 5 is not responding., I spent more time resetting com ports
than operating.

My adrenaline was pumping and my knees were shaking as I pushed the radio to the
limit, even at reduced power levels of less than 10W the radio was getting hot
and causing drifting issues... Despite what seemed like a death sentence for the
this contest, I did manage to scrape up a few QSO's and grids later on Sunday
into Sunday evening...

So as I close this chapter of the January VHF/UHF Test, its time to look forward
to June... I will say 73s and catch you down the log.... N3AAA Art