[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VA3KA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ken.asmus@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF VA3KA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 00:26:39 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  42     32  Total Score = 1,888

Club: TOVHFA

Comments:

This year I celebrate 50 years since I received my first license. I can say that
other than a few RTTY contests this is the first mainly digital outing for me.
It was quite interesting watching the screens. It kept me in the chair longer
than the very long periods of static operating from this area of the province!
In past years the January VHF contest was not very successful here.

A few notable events:

1. Great to work 2-1296 stations in my own grid! Don't think I have ever worked
1.2 GHz in my grid before. Thanks to the IC-9700's showing up.

2. Had 20 cm of heavy wet snow on Saturday coating all the antennas until Sunday
afternoon melting. Huge SWR problem on 6M and power fold back. Had a hard time
being heard there. One of my neighbours told me his 1296 55el looper looked like
a snow filled cardboard tube. He was able to bang the snow out but still had
high SWR until he climbed up and dried off the driven element loop!

3. Generally poor conditions on 144-432. Was finally able to work my regular
FN31 contact (Jeff - K1TEO) after failing twice during the day Sunday. He is
normally very loud here and easy contacts. We completed 144 + 222 then had to
sequence on 432 to finish late in the evening. Nothing on 6M.

4. Did not try FM. Should have tried to get the locals. I will try for a
dedicated FM station next time. Interesting to see stations in the GTA area
working 40 or more on FM.

Station:

50 MHz   FT-2000 50-80 watts depending on SWR 5 el at 60 feet
144 Mhz  IC-275H (100W FT-8) + FT-736R 100w CW and SSB
222 Mhz  FT-736R 100W 17 el at 35 feet
432 Mhz  FT-736R 100W 22 el at 40 feet
1296 Mhz FT-736R 4W 10 el yagi at 40 feet