[3830] CQ160 CW N6WM(@N6RO) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N6WM(@N6RO) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 21:20:31 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6WM WD6T WX5S K6AW N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Oakley CA
Operating Time (hrs): 31
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 901  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 25  Total Score = 218,064

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

A team effort that sort of finally fell into place mid last week, a few of the
Radio Oakley team split operations up to keep the candle burning during the
workable hours while retaining sanity.  Here is what the team did:

Dave: WD6T: Day 1 contest kickoff, was able to add the most qso volume but
struggled with EU, but managed to rake in the usual eastern Atlantic subjects
and the bulk of the US S/P mults.

Matt WX5S: Took the Saturday early morning shift to sunrise, managed to get some
JA in the log, some OC.. but also reported tough going.

Chris N6WM: Saturday PM band open (fairly early for us in W6, 2300) for about
8.5 hours. finished the WAS sweep last 2 being DC and RI, and some VE Maritime
regions.  disappointing east and central EU propagation, managed to grab D4.

Ken N6RO: swing shift Sat night into early AM sun, a brief 5-10 min spotlight
allowed for several UK stations to get into the log on their terminator, along
with Portugal.  this would prove to be the "big w6" EU
opening.

Steve K6AW: brought it home last shift, managing to get some elusive Asia mults
no grabbed in the first opportunity including VR, DU, etc.

Overall I was glad we decided to split this one up, these kind of conditions are
more of an add to the discipline it takes to do well in a 160 test, it was great
seeing so many NCCC members QRV, but a much more pronounced EU propagation event
would have made things more interesting for sure.

Thanks to gary NA6O for fixing up some faulty wiring on the 4sq controller
giving us a properly working Omni mode as well as amazing listening antenna
controls.

Flex 6600-M PGXL combo used my N6WM and WD6T - remote assisted by Remote rig
devices

Elecraft K3 Twin with Remote rig, /ACOM 2000 used by WX5S, K6AW
Elecraft K3/Alpha onsite by N6RO

Antennas:
Wire 4sq with custom control box by NA6O allowing central control of direction
as well as controlling availability and direction of listening antennas shared
in the shack

Beverage antennas

SAL 30

Coffee and probably some Chardonnay.