[3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 01:52:15 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 740  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 15  Total Score = 126,648

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I was not trying to win anything, just to have fun while not spending the whole
weekend on the radio.  160 contests are a lot easier to operate remote from
Tokyo but spending 30 hours in the chair even in the daytime is still pretty
disruptive of one's normal schedule and family life, so I decided to limit my
time on the air.

I ran for the first four hours on 1816, ending with 440 QSOs in the log.  After
that I just operated here and there over the rest of Saturday and Sunday my
time.  It seemed like there was a nearly unlimited supply of stations.  It
wouldn't have been too hard to run the total up over 1,000 contacts. What a
contrast from the old days when you were lucky to make half a dozen contacts
through the Loran!

The divide between the well-equipped stations and simple stations like mine is
so huge, we might as well be operating different contests.  I can't even hear a
lot of the stations that the big guns and the stations with good antennas are
working. In previous years, I have managed to work over 40 countries in this
contest with pretty much the same equipment, so from that perspective conditions
this year must have been pretty poor.  Friday night I had trouble being heard in
California and the West, although it was easy to work KH6.  Saturday
night/Sunday morning was much better. But I still couldn't hear or be heard by
most EU stations, although the UA2 came right back to me.

My big thrill was being called by K9DR in WY during the final few minutes I was
on for my last of the Lower 48 states. I had called him repeatedly earlier in
the contest but he just couldn't hear me then. I only missed AK for WAS.  Canada
was well represented but I still missed VE5 among the easier provinces.

Another fun moment was working KH7A who said "Hi Hal-San."  From that
I assumed it must be a JA friend, possibly operating remote from Japan.
Checking on 3830 I see the op was JA5DQH.  Nice to work you Aki-san.  I heard
him many times during the weekend.

My big problem this weekend was a very unstable Internet connection.  For
extended periods of time, reception was very choppy and I had to ask for a lot
of repeats.  Loud local guys in PA and VA must be pretty surprised when I ask
them to repeat their sections.  Sorry about that!  I also found the band pretty
noisy at times.

73 from Tokyo

Hal W1NN