[3830] RTTY WPX WP3C M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, PAULSWHITMAN@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX WP3C M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:59:54 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2021

Call: WP3C
Operator(s): WP3TT WP3C N2GK W2VQ
Station: WP3C

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Puerto Rico
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

------------
   80:  147
   40:  780
   20:  681
   15:  718
   10:    4
------------

Club:

Comments:

Valentines Day came early on Saturday with great a great opening on 15M to EU
and NA. Noise was quiet and anyone that called, especially being LP, we could
hear no problem! With the sunspot # being 0, we did not think 15M would be as
good, especially to EU.

I know we received some comments about distorted signal, being a full remote
operation we depend on Wifi at both locations, at the radio QTH and each
individuals personal Wifi connection at their building. I believe the signal
issue was at my (WP3TT) QTH, thus I didn't do as much operating as I wanted, but
stuck to the MULT radio to grab some MULTs every hour. I know when I was
operating I got asked for my NR a lot and could see on the Flex/SmartSDR the
signal go up and down when TX. During my shift in the middle of the night there
were no issues since I live in an apartment complex and no one else is using
data across my building, but quickly rose as the sun came up....noted for next
time. I do not believe the other operators had issues.

We had a game plan of hitting hard 40 and 80M in the contest due to the
additional points on those bands. LP is really tough here on 80M but 40M is wide
open with 2 full elements. We were even able to work a few YB stations on 40M as
well. Some great conditions early in the morning on 20M and then around
830AM-9AM local 15M opened up. Although not many stations on 15M, many could
hear us really well. Our goal was 2000Q and 800 WPX, but we far exceeded those
expectations by early Sunday morning. Our logged dropped our score about 300000K
Sunday afternoon after doing a resynch and restarting N1MM, I need to see to
make sure QSOs did not get dropped. One other thing we found on N1MM when we
were working MULTs, the station on N1MM available bandmap did not always go away
and often took several minutes for the station to go away after we worked them.
I have never seen this, but this could have resulted in why the score
dropped....

We prepared during NAQP RTTY and XE RTTY to run 100% full remote from Al's QTH
and get all the operators up to speed on N1MM + MMTTY and the additional decoder
(2Tone). We highly recommend a second decoder, it was great to have a second
confirmation and sometimes only one decoder actually copied something. The MULT
station was also posting spots (ALT+P) to contribute to those other stations in
the assisted category. Lots of fun and I know personally it is one of my
favorite contests in the year, especially on the RTTY side due to everyone can
work each other.

Al WP3C was operating from snowy Texas operating, Gary W2VQ and Edgar N2GK were
in New Jersey operating, and Paul was in San Juan PR operating from the metro
area. We capitalized most hours with a second radio working ~5 MULTs or
additional points on 40/80M if no MULTs were available (there always was!).

Lots of fun, hopefully 15M is great in ARRL DX CW but hopefully some sunspots
will open up 10M next weekend.

73s from the team!