[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 04:56:25 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2021

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  327
   40:  734
   20:  806
   15:  233
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

After missing last year’s WPX RTTY due to a storm related power outage I
really looked forward to this. I had concerns over the weather, a cold rain was
predicted for the entire weekend. My station was still configured for low power
RTTY from the ARRL RTTY Roundup and everything still functioned perfectly. I
started out tired and in a little discomfort from a medical procedure Friday
afternoon but after 100 QSOs per hour for the first five hours I started to feel
much better! I was having so much fun it was hard to stop to go to bed. Once I
did, the lack of sleep caught up to me and I could not wake up. By the time I
got back on the radio the sun was rising and 20m was already hopping into
Europe. I tried to make up for lost time by running stations as quickly as
possible which is not easy with low power on a crowded band. I got pushed around
a lot, almost into the U.S. phone band. Later on Saturday morning I was
pleasantly surprised to discover that 15m was also wide open into Europe. I have
not seen conditions this good in a long time. 82% of my 15m QSOs were with
Europe. I was fortunate that the local thunderstorms held off until Monday, the
constant cold rain never turned into an ice storm and that the rain static
seemed pretty minimal. I first started operating RTTY during the 2010 WPX
contest and I have enjoyed this century old mode ever since. I used up my 30
hours of op time early and was able to relax a little and enjoy valentine's day
with my XYL. Thanks for the QSOs. Please QSO via Tim, WD9DZV. Tim will upload my
log on LoTW. ClubLog and eQSL whenever he finishes shoveling out from the
Chicago snowstorm.

73,

John KK9A
http://www.kk9a.com