[3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 02:34:00 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 7
Remote Operation

  160:   38    22
   80:  115    42
   40:
   20:    2     2
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  155    66  Total Score = 30,690

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Remote from Japan.  The contest begins at 9AM Saturday here, perfect for
operating the low bands.  I operated most of the day and around 5 PM my time I
took a break for a bath.  Returning to my operating position afterwards, I see
that the computer screen is completely blue with a message stating something
like "Microsoft Automatic Repair Couldn't Repair your PC."  What? It
takes me just a few seconds to realize that my computer has completely crashed.
I toyed around with the various repair options for the next hour or two but
nothing helped. My computer was dead and my log was gone.  The above numbers are
estimates of my contacts and mults.

I have ordered a SATA-USB gizmo that I hope will allow me to recover my log and
some other stuff on that laptop, but I think it's a long shot.  The HDD is most
likely gone.

A shame too, because conditions on 80 were as good as I have ever heard them.  I
usually have trouble working Russia and Eastern Europe there but almost everyone
was coming back to me on the first call, and I even busted some pileups!  I even
worked two ZLs, which is usually pretty tough for me.

I focused on 80 because the antenna is now working again after being out of
commission during last year's CQWWDX CW (thanks K8MR & AF8A).  I was
planning to spend the whole weekend seeing what I could squeeze out of 80, but
just for the heck of it I took a listen to 160 and Wow!, the band was hopping.
In he space of just a few minutes I worked about 10 Europeans, mostly on the
first call.  That is really unusual for me, so I spent a little more time there
than I had planned.

I could have fired up a different computer and operated on 40 but after
wrestling with that laptop with no success, I just wasn't in the mood.

I'm getting really good at losing logs.  Just a couple of weeks ago I managed to
erase my whole log at the mid-point of the Sprint when I made the mistake of
trying to erase a bad Q while working someone manually.  I didn't pay attention
to the warning and, presto, the log was gone.  At least this time it was not due
entirely to my stupidity.

But I did have a good time for those first few hours, so it was not a total
bust.

I'm entering a long CW contest dry spell now.  With the WPX having been ruined
for me by the elimination of the unassisted class, it looks like IARU will be
the next decent event for me.  Thank goodness for the weekly NCCC Sprints which
allow me to get a regular shot of code contesting.

I hope everyone enjoyed the good 80 and 160 condx!

73, Hal W1NN remote@tokyo