[3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:47:48 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:  152    42
   80:  538    59
   40:  707    71
   20: 1282    76
   15:   77    37
   10:   22    12
-------------------
Total: 2778   297  Total Score = 2,475,198

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

For the past decade I have operated this contest SB40. Built more antennas this
year and felt the urge to use them.

This was really the first time I have experienced running for an extended
period. I feel bad for ops on the other end, subjected to my frequent mental
overloads. It was exhausting and exhilarating. I learned a lot about how to be
heard in a pileup. But there were times, especially as the sleep deficit
ballooned, that that I couldn't copy any CW, even in the clear.

I brought a bag of carrots along, to eat, for those occasions. They provide
remarkable clarity of vision and allow you to see distant rare multipliers even
through the fog of the auroral oval. But lack nutritional value compared to
peanut M&M's.

Considering the weather over the past weeks, the station and antennas were in
decent shape. I had replaced boom ropes and broken elements on 3 antennas during
February. Also removed frozen rugs from the shack from when the tent collapsed
during the last ice storm.

On Sunday afternoon the amp was faulting on 10 meters, even though it had been
ok before. Turns out that an open wire feedline was snagged and twisted on low
branches - and with high voltage, had arced and shorted it into several'X's by
melting the insulation. I ripped apart the wires, taped them up, ran back to the
tent and worked the LU station again from the previous broken QSO. Ran back
because it was cold, not to make the QSO.

The 20 meter opening to Asia late Sunday was amazing. Although, after hearing my
neighbor K1ESE work an HL, and the ensuing impossible pileup, I pulled the plug
early at 23:15, and went home to sleep.

Tom
KA1IS

----

IC-7610
KPA-1500
Skookumlogger
Big Honda generator.

3 and 4 element inverted-v wire beams for various bands and directions, up about
40 feet. Inverted-L for 160. Reversible beverages, approx. 400 feet.