[3830] ARRLDX CW WS1L SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chandlerusm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WS1L SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:53:22 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: WS1L
Operator(s): WS1L
Station: WS1L

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WMA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

  160:
   80:    7     7
   40:  101    49
   20:  147    54
   15:   11    10
   10:
-------------------
Total:  266   120  Total Score = 95,040

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3S, KPA-500 amp.  Hexbeam, 40M vertical and wires from the
Berkshires.

This was the first ARRL DX from our new WMA QTH.  I was interested to see how
this place stacked up to prior locations.  Despite being on the western slope of
Savoy Mountain, condx into EU were not that bad.  A more detailed breakdown
follows, for anyone who might be interested.

Other commitments took time away, but 90 minutes on Friday night found a few SA
stations on 20, and 40 with a good path into EU.  Despite the afore-mentioned
mountain plenty of signals were in the S8-S9 range on my monoband vertical.

Saturday morning I had a half hour free just before sunrise. Twenty had decent
signals from EU, running S5-S7.  One hundred watt stations seemed to be around
S4.

Saturday evening once again 40 showed good signals, with even the 100W EU
stations sliding over the mountain into my log.  Not real strong, but workable.

Sunday morning I spent the time right around my sunrise on 40.  I have a nice
shot to the west, so no surprise to work some ZL and VK.  I didn't hear the
higher latitude far eastern stations though I saw them spotted.  After my
sunrise I went to 20, looking to compare EU power levels with RST some more.  At
that point the Au flutter became really noticeable on the higher-latitude
signals.  Once again 100-200W stations were running S4-S5.  Later in the
afternoon the mid-power stations on 20 from EU were hitting a solid S7, and I
even worked a 5W station.

TLDR: A small mountain doesn't make it impossible to work DX in that direction.
I'm sure signals would have been stronger without it, but they were there.