[3830] ARRLDX CW KH7M(NA2U) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fred3830@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KH7M(NA2U) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 22:36:31 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): NA2U
Station: KH6ZM

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 34:11
Remote Operation

  160:  219    43
   80:  283    45
   40: 1009    56
   20: 1183    57
   15:  812    52
   10:  110    20
-------------------
Total: 3616   273  Total Score = 2,958,228

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Excruciating fun for more time than I like to think.  Using PCC for FTDX5000
interface with Microbit RemoteRig boxes.  Have test setup operating CWOps
mini-tests on Wednesday without problem.  About two dozen times I either lost
connection to the interface or the interface just closed.  Sometimes lost the
AnyDesk connection to the remote station at the same time.  My uninformed
opinion is that this is, at least partly, an internet issue.

At times receive audio was choppy.  It doesn’t take much of a disruption to
make copying impossible.  This happened many times, during big pileups.  Once it
was unusable for more than a half hour.  My apologies to the many guys I should
have been able to copy but just couldn’t.  Will try to troubleshoot this
before the phone contest in two weeks.

With all of that, and working almost two hours less than last year, I was able
to beat last year’s claimed score by almost 14,000 points.  With 6 less mults
I made 92 more Qs.  In spite of the aforementioned problems I feel really good
about the final result.  I don’t know how many times I thought about calling
it off.

I’ve only been working pileups from the DX-side for a little over 7 years.  I
remember the first couple times just laughing out loud.  On Sunday around 1900z
I had a pileup on 15m that couldn’t believe.  LOTS of VERY strong stations to
the point where I couldn’t even get enough of a callsign to ask for a repeat.
Of course, it resolved but I still shake my head (and laugh) when the pileups
sounds worse than an angry hornet’s nest.

A well-timed nap Saturday from 0820-1000z gave me enough energy to catch
east-coast sunrise and 9 mults on 160m.  I would have never lasted until 1200z
without the nap..

An unusual occurrence in my KH6 ARRL DX experience is having only ONE call from
a DX station.

Pleasant surprises:  Working Rosie, K3NM, on three bands.  I have worked Joe in
quite a while.  And working Steve, KF2TI, who seldom ventures into the contest
world.

I’m happy to report working these lucky 13 stations on SIX bands:  KA6BIM
N4WW  N3CW  K1TTT  N7TY  ND7K  W1GD  K9NW  K6PO  W6JTI  N7IR(QRP!) N2RC  WX1S

Thanks to all stations worked!

This the first ARRL DX contest since 2014 phone I haven’t actually traveled to
Hawaii.  I missed being able to visit with Max, KH6ZM, and his XYL, Kathy.  Max
was still a great virtual host.  He’s also a worthy cheerleader, nudging me to
NOT drop out.

I hope to see many of you in the upcoming phone contest.  If I suddenly
disappear it’s probably only temporary.

73 and aloha (from the desert).