[3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1DYJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 00:59:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

  160:   11    10
   80:   42    25
   40:  110    43
   20:  169    57
   15:   15    12
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  350   150  Total Score = 157,500

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This can be one of the best contests for my little pistol
station and poor CW listening skills.  It started well Friday
night on 40 and on Saturday morning from 6-7 am local I hit
a good "C&P" rate of 69 over a 20 minute period on 20. I
felt I might hit a new personal best.  Midday Saturday was
also going well, again on 20.

But the rest of the contest...    My MA QTH is on the NNE
side of a hill, and HFTA shows that 15 and 10 to SA is bad.
I could hear well, but no one could hear me.  Saturday night
was noisy on 160, 80 and 40.

I got up a 5 am local Sunday to listen for my last state for
5BWAS in MA: AK on 80 was spotted, not no joy.  Midday Sunday
was lost to looking at a house (see comment below) so I didn't
get back on until late afternoon and by then the noise was up.
My goal of 314K was nowhere to be seen.

     Only 6-bander: ZF1A
     One new DXCC Country on 160: E77DX, #85 (already
          confirmed -- love LoTW!)

Rig: TS-590SG  (What a difference from my old TS-2000!)
100% C&P
Log: N3FJP's International DX Contest Log v5.0
Antennas:
   HF Roof Tower (all are from 15-20 years old)
       10  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft
       15  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft
       20  HB Moxon @ 36ft
   160/80/40  trapped 80/40 + 160 fan dipole with
          feed @ ~30ft.  The 160 dipole runs "zig-zag"
          around the back yard at about 15 ft average
          height. (Also has a 30m dipole.)

One last comment: You may wonder why I put up with these old
HB antennas.  Two years ago we decided to "rightsize" from
our two QTHs to one in either Essex County MA or mid-coast
(Brunswick) ME.  I have stopped investing in these current
antennas while we look for a new QTH.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ