[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 04:34:32 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

  160:    0     0
   80:   13     6
   40:   47    14
   20:  124    40
   15:   55    22
   10:   10     5
-------------------
Total:  249    87  Total Score = 64,989

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Conditions were decent, but not as good as last year which was all time for this
part of the cycle! My Qs were down 25% from last year and my score was down
50%.

My best Q was coming across ZD7BG working stations with no pile up on 15 Meters
on Sat AM. I got him in a few calls and he soon went QRT. I don't think he was
really in the contest and I never heard him again.  A close second was getting
D4Z on 40 Meters as my 3rd 40 M QSO. 5 watts to a trap dipole only 30 feet up!

160 Meters. 4A7S just could not hear my 5 watts and feeble antenna. I was never
able to make any Q.

80 Meters. I did get into 5 JA logs, but the rest was KH6 & NA.

40 Meters. Besides D4Z, I worked 22 JA stations, Oceania, and some SA. I never
heard Europe.

20 Meters. I was able to get into Europe for 23 stations split between Sat and
Sun. Best Q for me was TK5MH.

15 Meters. Never worked Europe. Heard a few weak ones.

10 Meters. A few Central and South America and only one KH6!

DXCC was 45 (No W or VE), and WAZ was 18 (without 3,4 & 5). Very boring
numbers.

I did not use any spotting networks as usual. Even when we are now allowed to
use them for the first time in some major DX contests I still have not used
them. It seems that by the time a station is spotted it is too late for QRP. But
I'm thinking that I might set the net to only report 10 Meter spots. At this
part of the cycle, getting an alert of a 10 M opening might be very useful.

We had to watch both young grandkids today for 11 hours starting at 8 AM, so I
am a bit late getting this report out. ....but I will sleep tonight!

73,  See you in the ARRL SSB in 1 1/2 weeks!

Bill  W6QU - W8QZA