[3830] NAQP RTTY N9TF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY N9TF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 14:38:47 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

   80:  191    43
   40:  121    32
   20:   56    20
   15:    7     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  375    97  Total Score = 36,375

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Shockley

Comments:

Well, that was a rough start, and never recovered. I had set a minimum goal of
500 Qs. Missed it be a long shot. Only stations on 15m were a few CA. Thanks to
ND9G for being on 15m CQing for my second mult on that band. I know as soon as I
tuned 20m, it wasn't going to be good. I had high QRN noise from NW-W-SW, and
the first Q in the log at 18:33UTC was a strong KL7SB. There were not a lot of
signals on 20 and I S&Pd through them pretty quickly. I tried several time
to get a run going, but never made more than a hand full of Qs CQing, and spent
waaaaaaaay to much time on 20 trying to make something happen, that wasn't going
to happen. I headed down to 40m by 19:35UTC and found a lot of signals on the
band and proceeded to clear out the S&P first. Had a couple small runs after
that, but prop was a bit difficult. Several times I found that my CQ freq was
not as clear as I thought it was. 10 or so minutes into a run stations I thought
were calling me, were working someone else on my freq I couldn't hear. Got
sandwiched out a couple times as well. 80 ended up being my best band. Maybe I
should have gone there a bit earlier. Alternated S&P and runs up and down
the band. Best rate was 102/hr for 5 minutes, average rate of all 80m runs was
72/hour. Activity came in bursts, with down time in between. Worked everyone I
heard on 80. Wished conditions would have been a little better on the higher
bands. Really wanted to do well in this one!
I'm starting to look at these contests now in the scope of lasts from this QTH.
We will officially be moving to TN by the end of September, and the antennas
will most most likely be coming down in June as we prepare to ready this house
for the market. Looks like that timing puts me on the bench for the summer NAQP
run. Lot is purchased just outside of the Clarksville TN city limits to the SW
of town on 1.5 acres in the middle of farm country. Builder will start in March
to break ground. I'll miss being able to contribute to most all contests for
SMC, but will always make it on for those contests I can contribute from out of
the circle. It's been a fun 20 plus years with everyone in the Society of
Midwest Contesters.

73 Gene, N9TF