[3830] CQ160 SSB N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, RON.SPENCER@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 16:04:03 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: US
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 546  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 12  Total Score = 82,971

Club: SMITHCHART ARS

Comments:

First time operating SSB contest with Anan 7000dle. Had some kinks to work out
like how to record on the fly with N1MM+. Sort of got it figured out but need to
refine. When did Windows make it SO difficult to set mike level?? That was
frustrating.

As far as I know, the Anan is the only radio on the market offering Pure Signal
which measures the distortion of the signal after the amp and
"pre-distorts" the input signal to cancel the distortion resulting in
a very clean signal. I look forward to having more rigs offer that which will
open up more room on the band.

My effort was part time as I couldn't get keyed up for a full effort. Came up to
the shack couple hours after the start and found a nice clear frequency. Ran for
a couple hours with very steady rate. Quit but woke up for  last part of EU
sunrise. Worked couple far western EU stations. Using a narrow software filter
(1.8khz) made it easier on the ears. As did the circle receive array.

As others have noted, EU was not heard well over here. Only worked CU, EA, EI,
G, GM, I S5. Other DX worked was KH6 (KH7M, thanks for your patience this
morning. Sigs from west were not strong!), KP2, KP4, CM.

Heard but not worked: HG8DX, SP6R (think that was call), E7DX, Rl1A (last two
working VY2ZM), S53C. The fact I can list these few tells all: not much heard
from EU.

Conditions to the west coast were also not great. Missing many what should be
easy mults.

Circle array worked well, almost too well. Callers in direction other than where
I had it pointed were, I'm sure, frustrated when I had to ask for repeats. Once
listening in their direction most were easy copy.

All in all it was fun and I spent a lot more time than I expected.

Equipment:
Anan 7000dle with pure signal
Alpha91B
phased towers for transmit