[3830] CQ160 SSB K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 22:45:41 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 5:30

Total:  QSOs = 73  State/Prov = 66  Countries = 7  Total Score = 3,507

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Running my IC-7410 at 100w into one leg of an 80m dipole always makes my 160m
participation a "fun struggle." This time I also had to deal with S9
line noise. So, my score is what it is for those reasons. Activity seemed down,
too, although that line noise may have blocked many weaker signals.

I put in 5.5 hours spread over two operating periods Friday evening, two
Saturday sunrise and that evening, and two Sunday--sunrise and the contest's
last half hour, which provided 3 more QSOs. Friday night, of course, was the
most productive. After that I had to search hard for new ones, even on Saturday
night.

Propagation seemed short, with audible signals confined largely to the Eastern
Seaboard. Canada was in short supply other than two I worked on PEI and five in
Ontario.

Overall I worked 19 states (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 8th call areas)--none in the
5th, 6th, 7th and 10th--plus 2 provinces (VE3 and VY2). No DX. The CQ 160m CW
contest in January was vastly more productive for me.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA