[3830] CQ160 SSB KH7M(K1EP) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1ep@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB KH7M(K1EP) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 22:54:37 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): K1EP
Station: KH6ZM

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs):
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 168  State/Prov = 37  Countries = 6  Total Score = 71,552

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Max, KH6ZM, for the use of his great station for this contest. I
decided to go assisted because of my scant knowledge of the propagation from
Zone 31. HP also made it easier and Max's solid state amp was exceptionally easy
to use remotely. This was a new and unique experience.  I have had a lot of
experience operating remote, but this was a little different in that it was
purely a "glass cockpit" operation.  It makes the quick and small
changes that you would make on a hands on radio almost impossible to do.
However, for a laid back type of operation, it was great.  Obviously propagation
is different but in some ways similar to East Coast US, in that the US can be
thought of as Eu for an PAC station.  I could hear all the way to zone 5 before
my sunset similar to hearing Eu but Europe not hearing US.  The station has
relatively low noise, except for some fairly constant impulse noise that the NB
took care off.  There were some other isolated RFI noises that made a couple of
frequencies unusable, but for the most part, I could hear a lot better than
stations trying to hear me.  I stayed up for US sunrise and for my local
sunrise, but there were very few stations on to work at that time. I did hear
many stations that could not hear me, which is always frustrating when they are
well above the noise.   And of course it is strange to be working 160M when it
is daylight outside and you are watching it snow, while signing Zone 31.  I did
work Zones 1,3,4,5,11,14,18,19,25, and 31. I also heard Zones 6,8, and 15 (my
sunrise, their sunset). Worked several JAs in their newly acquired allocation,
which was nice. The East Coast wasn't that great.  Worked only three stations in
MA and no other New England states.  Heard only NH.  Florida came in early and
of course CA was loud.  Felt good to average 9.9 points/Q this time around!
Thanks for working me and sorry if there were any long pauses or delays.  There
were occasional computer network and internet issues.  Aloha!